1. What are Metal Halide (HID) to LED Retrofit Kits?
Metal Halide fixtures are common place in many commercial and industrial locations. You will find metal halide parking lot lights, flood lights, wall packs, high masts and street lights to name a few.
A LED retrofit kit is a set of LED components that allows you to replace the metal halide components with LED components using the existing fixture.
2. Why would you retrofit a fixture and not just replace it?
Quite simply, replacement is not always the best and most economical option.
Some fixtures are expensive, and replacing it becomes a costly proposition.
Some fixtures would require significant permitting if they were replaced, where as the permitting process can be by-passed if only the metal halide components are replaced.
Some installations require expensive engineering drawings if fixtures are replaced. Retrofitting allows these companies to bypass the costly process of re-engineering.
3. Why are Metal Halide lights referred to as HID Lights?
HID, or High Intensity Discharge, is a family of lights that included metal halide, high pressure sodium and mercury vapor. They essentially are a bulb and ballast combination of very bright lights. In the context of this discussion, when we mention metal halide, the same applies for high pressure sodium and mercury vapor.
4. What parts are you replacing when you convert a metal halide fixture to LED?
Typically, we are replacing the bulb, ballast and socket with a LED Heads, LED Driver and mounting hardware. We can also remove the reflector inside the fixture. It is not needed (LED is directional and there is no light to reflect) and it opens the fixture space up for more cooling air space.
5. Are retrofit kits certified by UL and/or ETL? Will the fixture lose its UL certification?
The retrofit kits we sell are all tested to the UL1598C retrofit kit specification. Which means UL and ETL test the retrofit kits installed inside and existing HID fixture to make sure it performs safely. The UL1598C is a retrofit kit certification. Your fixture is safe when you follow the installation instructions.
6. What Metal Halide Bulbs can you replace with LED Retrofit Kits?
The retrofit kits we offer can replace everything from 150 Watts Metal Halide to well over 1000 Watts. For the the most common bulbs, here are the most common replacement kits for the most common metal halide wattages.
1. Replace 150W Metal Halide: 30W LED Retrofit Kit
2. Replace 250W Metal Halide: 75W LED Retrofit Kit
3. Replace 400W Metal Halide: 100W LED Retrofit Kit
4. Replace 1000W Metal Halide: 280W LED Retrofit Kit
7. Are Retrofit Kits Water Proof?
Our LED HID Retrofit Kits easily install inside an IP rated indoor or outdoor fixture. Keep them dry and the will perform without issue for years. For outdoor use, your fixture must be rated IP65 or higher.
The retrofit kits are not IP65 rated, so they should never be installed exposed to the outdoor elements.
8. Can LED Retrofit Kits handle higher voltages, like 480V?
We have solutions that cover these higher voltage installations. Constant current drivers can handle everything from 100V to 277V.
Higher voltage drivers can handle 277V to 480V. We can handle single or 3-phase power as well. Talk to our sales engineers and we can get your lighting situation taken care of.
480V High Voltage?
The standard driver with our HID Retrofit Kits are 100V to 277V. Tell our sales engineer that you need a high voltage solution so we can ship you our high voltage drivers.
9. Are LED Retrofit Kits for Metal Halide Dimmable?
Yes, but you need a special 0-10V dimmable driver. These are typically 2 extra wires found on the driver, one grey and one purple. They can be attached to 0-10V dimmer switches or controls that allow dimming, like motion sensors.
10. Will LED Retrofit Kits work with controls like motion sensors and photocells?
Yes! And unlike metal halide, they work perfectly with motion sensors because LED is instant on – instant off, unlike HID bulbs.
11. How much money can you expect to save when you convert over to LED?
Its easy to save 50% and as much as 75%, and even higher when you use controls. For example, our 100W retrofit kit replaces 400W metal halide. When you add in the power consumption of the metal halide driver, then the consumption is actually around 455 watts. That’s 100 Watts replacing 455 Watts. That’s over 78% savings.
12. Some kits on the market use mogul socket adapters to install the kit to the fixture. Is this good?
Many old fixtures have an E39 socket or mogul base. They engineers designed then to hold a 400W and 1000W HID bulb, not retrofit kits that weigh 5X more.
Imagine a shoebox fixture in an outdoor application, 20 ft in the air on a windy day. The fixture will sway, stress the mogul socket and eventually fail. The retrofit kit will fall to the glass of the fixture.
LED Lighting Supply Kits include mounting adapters to replace the mogul socket. This provides a secure, fail safe mount for the LED Head. Our installation procedure includes the removal of the mogul socket.
DesignLights Consortium DLC Premium Qualifications only apply to direct mount kits. So if you want a safer mounting option and a higher rebate, avoid using a mogul base adapter.
13. How easy is it to install a retrofit kit inside an existing fixture?
- Turn off the Power to the existing fixture, and open the fixture up to expose the bulb and ballast.
- Remove the bulb, ballast and socket from the fixture.
- Remove the reflector – only if the reflector is not part of the fixture’s watertight seal.
- Install the LED driver in the location of the old HID Ballast. Wire the driver to the same wires that powered the ballast.
- Configure the mounting arm for your fixture. Install the arm to the fixture and then install the LED Head to the mounting arm.
- Connect the wires of the LED Head to the wires of the LED Driver.
- Position and aim the LED Head to optimize light distribution.
- Remove the protective plastic cover from the LED head.
- Clean the glass of the fixture (if required) and close the fixture.
- Turn the power back on.
14. How efficient are retrofit kits?
Efficacy and Lumens per Watt Matter when you want to replace Metal Halide!
LED Lighting Supply has one of the most efficient commercial LED HID Retrofit Kits available. Looking for a 400 watt Metal Halide bulb upgrade? Our 100W LED conversion retrofit produces 15,550 lumens. That’s 155 lumens per watt.
Why does this matter?
Consider other competitive options available. One such product is a 340 W retrofit unit producing 39000 lumens @ 114.7 lumens per watt. In comparison, our 350 Watt retrofit kit produces 50,750 lumens @ 145 lumens per watt. Even our 280 Watt unit produces more lumens (43,120) than their 340 Watt unit. We produce more light and consume 60 Watts less energy. Converting to LED saves money by using less electricity. Why would you choose old and outdated LED technology?
So lumens is one thing, but let’s calculate this another way.
You want to reduce your lighting bill (or grab hold of the other benefits LED has to offer). It’s all about producing the right amount of light and doing it using the least amount of energy. If you have outdoor area lights and are looking to retrofit them, you can choose our product at 100 Watt / 15,550 lumens. Or you can choose their product at 135 Watt / 13,164 lumens. They both have 10-year warranties.
Their product is DLC Standard. Ours kits are DLC Premium Qualified. For every light you replace with our Kit instead of theirs, you will burn 35 less watts and produce 2,386 more lumens.
Converting HID bulbs to energy efficient Commercial Lighting Retrofits will save you money. So before you buy, you need to shop and determine which DLC Qualified LED Retrofit kit will save you the most.
“Never buy a retrofit bulb, lamp or solution based on watts. Determine the lumens you need and get the most efficient retrofit that uses the least amount of energy.”
Fixtures you can install a LED Retrofit Kit in
LED Shoebox – Parking Lot Fixture
Designed for outdoor shoebox fixtures, retrofit kits convert existing parking fixtures to LED. Our 100 watt Retrofit Kit replaces 400W MH and HPS. We have 280W, 320W and 350W to replace 1000 Watt to 1500 Watt HID fixtures.
Wall Mounted Wall Pack
Ideal for proving light around the outside of a commercial or industrial setting. Converting to LED saves you money and provides you with bright, high quality white light.
LED Retrofit Kit installed inside WallPack Fixture
Canopy – Garage Light
Designed for your canopy fixtures which mount at a gas & petroleum station. Retro-fitting canopy lights with LED is a cost savings alternative to new canopy fixtures!
LED Retrofit Kit installed inside Canopy Fixture
Designed for low bay fixtures in parking garage, warehouse & factory locations.